Saturday, August 25, 2012

Candied Sweet Potatoes with Marshmellows


So Thanksgiving is now ever and I am sure we are all stuffed to the guts even now a few days later, I know I am. This recipe came about because we were having thanksgiving with friends and the task of making the various potato side dishes fell to me. For the longest time I did not even eat sweet potatos but that changed ever since I tried my MIL's sweet potato casserole a few years back. There are tons of recipes online for all kinds of variations on sweet potato casserole or candied yams and I guess now I am adding mine to the mix lol. So let's get to it, shall we?

The Goods:

3-4 lbs sweet potato, peeled and cut in small pieces (~1 inch in size)
 1 1/2  to 2 cups of brown sugar ( ore or less if you increase or degrease the amount of potatoes you use)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 to 2 teaspoons (depends how strong you want the influence to be) ground ginger
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1 cup of water
marshmellows to cover

The Works:

preheat oven to 375 º. in a large roasting pan (foil or nonestick, if you make it to take along I recommend foil) arrange the sweet potatoes, set aside. combine the other ingredients except the marshmellows in a small to medium size saucepan and bring to a boil, stiring constantly until it is a gooey mass and all the sugar is dissolved. Pour the mixture evenly over hte sweet potatos and mix to coat. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 50 min. remove foil and decrease temperature to 350º. bake for another 30 to 40 minutes. Now up to here you can premake the dish up to a day before, simply cover and put into the fridge if you make it ahead, or if you are using it right away (and I mean right away, if you don't need even just for a few more hours, then forgo this next step until about 30 min before you serve the dish) cover  the sweet potatos with minimarshmellow and broil at 500º for about 5 to 10 minutes until marshmellows are melting and slightly brown ontop.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment